If you’ve updated to the newly released MacOS Mojave release then you might find the following issue when starting your vagrant box with NFS mounting:

Preparing to edit /etc/exports. Administrator privileges will be required…

tee: /etc/exports: Operation not permitted
tee: /etc/exports: Operation not permitted
tee: /etc/exports: Operation not permitted

You can quickly fix this issue by following the following steps:

  1. Open “System Preferences”
  2. Go to “Security & Privacy”
  3. Click the “padlock” icon in the bottom-left corner where it says “Click the lock to make changes” – enter your password when prompted
  4. On the list of permissions on the left, select “Full Disk Access”
  5. Now, on the right-hand side, click the little “+” icon
  6. This will open a browse window, use this to select your preferred Terminal e.g. “Applications > iTerm” or “Applications > Utilities > Terminal”
  7. If the selected Terminal is already open, you’ll be asked to Quit it – quit the application and restart it
  8. When you restart the selected application, you may prompted if you’d like to allow the app to make changes to your computer – accept and enter your password if required
  9. Try mounting your vagrant machine and now the above error should no longer appear!

Note that this is a solution that I have tried and tested, but will be worth keeping an eye out for Vagrant/Virtualbox updates to see if they have an alternative solution.

I was just trying to setup the PHP Development Tools (PDT) in Aptana Studio on my new laptop.  However, when I selected the package I received an error saying:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: PDT Runtime Feature 2.0.0.v20090315-1850 (org.eclipse.php.feature.group 2.0.0.v20090315-1850)
Missing requirement: PDT Runtime Feature 2.0.0.v20090315-1850 (org.eclipse.php.feature.group 2.0.0.v20090315-1850) requires ‘org.eclipse.dltk.core.feature.group [1.0.0,2.0.0)’ but it could not be found

The error occurs because Aptana fails to find the Eclipse repository in its list of update sites and can’t download the required packages for the PDT plugin.  The steps below describe how to rectify the problem:

  1. In Aptana go on Window -> Preferences
  2. Select “Install/Update
  3. Select “Available Software Sites
  4. Press “Add
  5. In name enter “Eclipse Galileo”
  6. In location enter “http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/”
  7. Click “OK
  8. Close the Preferences window
  9. Go on Help -> Install New Software
  10. In the “Work with” dropdown select “PDT Update Site”
  11. Select the PDT package you want to install.  This time the installer should run smoothly and allow you to install the PDT.


This issue isn’t only for the PDT plugin as it also occured for me when trying to install the Android SDK on my computer.  You just need to run this fix once and you should no longer have any issues.

Today was a different kind of problem. Working on a PHP web application on localhost using XAMPP, I was required to import a massive list of geographical locations into a MySQL database. The problem was, the .txt file with the data was over 700MB!!

Obviously any import with phpMyAdmin would timeout after 128MB. There’s fiddlier options such as BigDump, but I went out on a search for a more elegant solution.

Introducing Sequel Pro…

Sequel Pro is the successor of cocoaMySql. It’s free of charge, and it’s actively developed.

After a quick download of 3MB, and the 2 second OSX installation time, I launched Sequel Pro. The interface was very intuitive, the first screen asks you to enter details of a new connection. Simple enough: “site name”, “host”, “username”, “password”, “database” -> Connect!

Upon connection it quickly brought up all the tables in the database, and I selected the table that I wanted to import data into. Then, File -> Import and I selected the .txt file that I needed (though the CSV option was selected). I also made sure that the field delimiter was set to “/t” (which means TAB) because that’s how the data in my file was sorted.

The next screen allowed me to select the table into which the data would go, and more importantly, a preview of how the data would be processed. I made sure that all the data was going into the correct fields. Now that I was happy, I clicked Import and that was it.

Within 15 minutes, all the data had been imported into the database succesfully. No messing around with BigDump, no modifying of filesize limits, just a free simple tool, that takes care of everything for you.

If you’re struggling to import data into a database on OSX, then I’d strongly suggest you check out Sequel Pro too!